[extropy-chat] The Lunar Eclipse night of 3-4 March ...

Anne Corwin sparkle_robot at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 20:08:43 UTC 2007

I happened to be in a car on the way back from the grocery store during the eclipse...I didn't recognize it for what it was at the time, but I did notice that the moon looked different from usual (somewhat orange-tinged).  Very cool!

I'm in Santa Clara, CA by the way.

- Anne

Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote: .. was glorious!

Here: An amateur German astronomy group with professional pictures,
"Live" from the event:
http://www.vds-astro.de/astroaktuell/2007/Mondfinsternis/live/Mondfinsternis-live.htm

My small experiment with a "Canon Powershot" digital camera (heh!)
http://amara.com/luneclipse/

Compare an image from the folks with the professional equipment:
http://www.vds-astro.de/astroaktuell/2007/Mondfinsternis/image/IMG_3047B.jpg

with an image from my handy digital that is not designed for such photography
http://amara.com/luneclipse/IMG_5289_cropped.jpg

Ok, you laugh, but at least the lunar maria is correct, true?

Samantha, now I know what all of those settings do.  :-)

Did any of you see it? The professional and amateur astronomy groups are
always aware about things like this, but there was no indication that
anyone in my town was aware about it. I almost never watch TV, so I
don't know if it was a TV news item.

In total I've seen four lunar eclipses from my flat in my town, 4 x
4 hours = 16 hours of eclipsing, with people walking around below my
apartment building, and with 100 other apartments with terraces looking
in the same direction as mine, and I never saw a single person looking
UP or from their terraces at the glorious spectacle of the eclipsed Moon
occurring over their heads. How difficult can it be to look at the Moon?
I'm a misfit here.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA

"Like and equal are not the same thing at all!"
- Meg Murry, "A Wrinkle In Time"