[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:24:07 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Normally I like what John Clark has to say, but I disagree with you here,
> John. I don't believe this is a legitimate question. It's not just that
> the question has no answer. Seems to me that it's worse than that: that
> the question itself has no meaning.

I am unable to relate to that perspective.  Even if you conclude that
a problem cannot be solved, there is still the analysis required to
make the conclusion.  That analysis may require a new mode of
thinking, which may be applied to previously believed-to-be
intractable problems.  Rigorous mathematical induction is one simple
example of an 'obvious' solution that requires a formal proof; and a
methodology that can be reused in other contexts.

Is the physical universe discrete like integers, or continuous like
real numbers?  If discrete, then what is between each unit volume of
space-time if not Nothing?  If you believe there is infinitely more
definition/resolution at finer scales, then please explain your
conceptualization - because this may futher open discussion.

i think that's as succinct as i can be for now