[extropy-chat] The Uncertainty Principle in Zen

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 16:30:10 UTC 2007

Below is a part of a message from yesterday's post by someone:

"So, as you can see, it is a typical 'Zen' scenario,
and it is not easy to be completely 'aware' of the UP,
since it is more misanthropic than anthropic."

My reply: Thanks for your comprehensive analysis of the issue arising
 from the anthropic and misanthropic application of the Uncertainty
Principle.

In Zen, training the mind to be aware of the dualism between self and
no-self is a test of the Uncertainty Principle/randomness which is the
essential teaching of "Emptiness" as a state of possibility.

Thoughts and desires arise from the mind and this lead to psychological
stress only when the self sees the mind as the sole arbiter of truth.

I see why the practice of awareness cannot be completely misanthropic
due to the difficulty of some practitioner's pattern of anthropic
thinking.

Some schools of Zen Buddhism use Koans to brake this pattern but others
rely completely on meditation to clear the mind while some Mahayanists
school advocate the Bodhisattva ideal to address suffering by dealing
directly with it with no concern about the certainty or uncertainty
{presumptions}of future results.

When dealing with the psyche, think non-thinking according to my Zen
master. This suggestion is compatible with doing away the anthropic way
of thinking.

Terry