[extropy-chat] The meme of transhumanism

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Mar 6 14:20:54 UTC 2007

At 09:23 AM 3/5/2007, Terry wrote:

>Transhumanism is a meme yet to be tested in the world of ideas to see
>if it works to liberate the mind from psychological stress. If this
>meme's objective is extropy, why does it proclaims itself as absolutely
>infallible in connection with science when the latter does not claim
>absolute infallibility?

Infallibility?  I think you have missed the point of both transhumanism and
extropy.

A beneficial method for learning and gaining knowledge is through trial and
error.  Problem solving, at its near best, is achieved through testing
theories and extracting what seems to work and then taking that protocol
further.  Because we are living in an ever changing environment, the very
concept of perfect or perfection (or what you may be assuming to be
absolute infallibility) is a misnomer because achieving such state would
mean a stasis - and stasis is not an environment conducive to learning and
growth.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, <http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Planetary Collegium
Proactionary Principle Core Group, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy
<http://www.extropy.org/>Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Advisory Committee, <http://www.pietronigro.com/zgac/>Zero Gravity Arts
Consortium

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller