[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:22:31 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Robert Picone <rpicone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regardless of what condition a human may be, moments of relative weakness
> happen, and these are probably more common and more tempting than the
> moments of relative strength.  I'd say your solution brings about more
> problems than it solves, even ignoring the results of making minor mistakes.

If I had source level write access to myself, the first thing I'd do would
be to put a 7-day lock on it: any change I try to make goes into a pipeline
with a 7 day delay and the option to cancel at any point during that time.
If self-modification is ever legalized in any society even slightly similar
to ours, I imagine there'll be some such safeguards on it.