[extropy-chat] PJ's quotes and email clients

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 21:50:17 UTC 2007

At 09:33 PM 3/12/2007 +0000, Robert wrote:

>If someone is ending up with shorter lines I'd say it is due to
>their email receiving program.

No, that was a fresh anomaly.

What Eudora shows me with PJ's posts that quote an article from
another source (but not with her ordinary emails) is one long
unparagraphed blurt like the following--assuming that's how the
following looks to everyone else:

================

As a resident in an oceanfront community, I'm all for this,
especially when our community is looking down the barrel (pun not
intended) of Schwarzenegger-supported LNG platforms for Bulliton
right off our coast, to add to the existing oil platforms, in a
tsunami and earthquake zone no less... Interesting graphics accompany
the article, in that the one thing each of the three systems had in
common was... Scotland.  Two of the three technologies was from a
Scotland-based company.  The third used Scotland as a testing
ground.  Leave it to those practical Scots to take what they've got a
heap of and make lemonade. PJ
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wave11mar11,1,3504409.story
Electricity from the sea Dreams of converting ocean energy into
electricity move closer to commercial reality. By Adrian G. Uribarri
Times Staff Writer 7:42 PM PST, March 10, 2007 Off the western coast
of Scotland, on the Isle of Islay, science teacher Ray Husthwaite
turns on the light in his classroom. The electricity comes from a
power cable that runs to the mainland. But it also comes from the
ocean. A few miles from the school, wave action compresses and
decompresses air in a chamber. The moving air powers a turbine, which
generates electricity. "It is pleasant, on a choppy but sunny day, to
sit beside the gray, concrete structure and listen to the rising and
falling of the waves, driving air through the turbines like the
breath of a great sea monster," Husthwaite said. "It seems insane to
me to be investing in nuclear power stations and gas turbines when
there are endless, free energy resources in the rivers, oceans and
the wind." In a world addicted to fossil fuel, turning waves into
watts might seem far-fetched. But as the U.S. and other countries
look for alternatives to oil, natural gas and coal and try to curb
global warming, ocean power gradually is joining the ranks of wind
and solar power as a source of renewable energy. Pacific Gas &
Electric Co. caught the wave last month when it became the first
California utility to file for permits to study the promise of sea
power, a non-polluting but expensive and mostly untested way to take
energy from the ocean. PG&E's proposed projects could provide
electricity for tens of thousands of homes, said Keely Wachs,
spokesman for the San Francisco-based utility. "More importantly,
it's clean and totally renewable." PG&E joins a global list of
organizations experimenting with harnessing ocean power. In less than
three years, U.S. energy regulators have received nearly five
dozen  <and on and on>

I'm using the current non-sponsored version of Eudora, licensed and
paid for by the University of Melbourne, so I'd expect it to know how
to unpack most messages.

Damien Broderick