[extropy-chat] Research question: power supply for silicon-based neural prostheses

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Mon Mar 12 23:24:13 UTC 2007

>>I think there is a watch somewhere that is powered by energy generated
>>by people swinging their arms back and forth...
>
>Ah, a brain chip powered by *nodding*!
>
><nods>

Geez, I turn my back for a moment and comedy breaks out!

[BTW, my favorite stupid home-shopping network useless item is the electric gyroscope you plug in and attach your Rolex (or similar perpetual movement) watch to, to keep it 'wound,' especially since there IS a winder on the watch if it runs out... I guess people can't be bothered to set and wind a watch anymore.  I once walked into a "Hollywood" closet and saw a row of about six of these, each spining and winding a watch.  Just the electric power draw for these was ridiculous.  Oh well.  Whatever.]

I'm serious.  I'm sure I read something somewhere about using our own biochemistry to power prostheses...  Was I really dreaming this?

PJ