[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:53:33 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> So just turn a knob, now you have changed your mind, and I do mean CHANGED
> YOUR MIND. Now you think being a drug addict is the noblest most
> fulfilling
> most enjoyable profession that is conceivable. So you think my idea is
> stupid, no problem, just turn another knob, now you think my idea is
> absolutely brilliant.

I could do that, but why would I? Even if I wanted to enjoy using drugs I
would arrange it so that I would get the pleasure without the addiction.
Even if I decided to become an addict I could always change my mind, much
more easily than a present day addict can. I suppose I could make it so I
would never want to stop being an addict, but the ease of reversal outweighs
this risk.

> I think people would rather choose to be happy doing something they feel
> > is worthwhile than something useless.
>
> That is certainly the case today, but my point is that may not always be
> true. Doing something worthwhile is more difficult and thus rarer than the
> trivial, it follows that to maximize pleasure you should get it from the
> trivial not the profound.

But doing something difficult can be made just as pleasurable - just as
easy, if you like - as sitting around and getting the pleasure for nothing.
Suppose I can get x amount of pleasure doing nothing for a day or x amount
of pleasure painting the house for a day. I don't mean by this that I paint
the house, then get the pleasure: I mean the pleasure comes with the
painting, sufficient to counteract tiredness and sore muscles. What
advantage would there then be to doing nothing?

Stathis Papaioannou