[extropy-chat] Mark Plus on Keith Henson

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Mar 13 03:04:26 UTC 2007

At 04:17 PM 3/12/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't agree with Mark's rather pessimistic assessment of Keith's judgment.
>It's hardly his fault if too few other people had the right ideas about space
>colonization,

At the time the idea of space colonies, at least of the sort where people
can just move there on their own was economically wrong.  As Freeman Dyson
pointed out, the cost of transport into space is about 10,000 times too high.

>or if certain weirdos like Timothy

That was Dr. Timothy Leary, one time research scientist at Harvard and one
of the sharpest people I ever met.  Get a copy his autobiography,
_Flashbacks_.  (Arel typed the manuscript).  An episode from his life that
may or may not be in the record is that when he was sent to prison after
being framed for marijuana, the psychological profiling test Dr. Leary was
given was one he had created and standardized.  Of course he knew how to
answer the questions in order to be put in a low security place from which
he could escape.

You might keep in mind that the full PR resources of the federal government
were used in an attempt to ruin his reputation when it was thought the 60s
and antiwar movement had leaders and therefor all the unrest would end if
those leaders were destroyed.

>Leary succumbed to the
>deathoid persuasions of people closer to him than Keith was.

Leary would have been frozen if certain people . . . talk to me in person.

>Or is it Mark's point that one shouldn't put effort into risky projects,
>because
>one may find eventually that one hasn't often succeeded?

Probably best if I don't say anything.  Give me a call if you
want.  928-445-4412

Keith

snip