[extropy-chat] War Is Easy To Explain - Peace is Not

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 14:35:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:43:38 -0400, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> If you want to explain something, explain why
>
> 1.  people join anti-war marches designed to *weaken*
>      their own side's prospects while an actual war is
>      going on!

Please tell me, Lee, that you're not among those zealots on the
ultra-right who believe anti-war protesters are traitors to their own
country. This would seem to be your implication when you state that
anti-war marches are "designed to weaken their own side's prospects".
Those words are close to the definition of the very serious crime of
treason.

In every case, as far as I can tell, anti-war movements exist when some
significant percentage of individuals believe, rightly or wrongly but
always sincerely, that a war is unjustified, or illegal, or morally wrong,
or too costly in dollars or in the lives of their fellow countrymen and
women. Far from being traitors with designs on hurting or weakening their
own side, anti-war protesters are patriots with a different point of view.

-gts