[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:17:18 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the above reason: if you devote all of your processing power to
> pleasure, you would need an independent subprocess which would not be
> tempted to join you sitting around doing nothing in heaven. My conception of
> the situation was of multiple posthumans on a computer network rather than
> free-ranging entities.

### But let's consider the economic aspects here: There is likely to
be a positive correlation between the amount of computing power
devoted to the acquisition of computational resources and the amount
of computing power an entity gains. Therefore the entities that use a
part of their computational resources for bliss will not be able to
gain resources as quickly as entities that are not so encumbered. They
may also be unable to resist the loss of computational resources,
given the likely persistence of scarcity and competition for
resources.

In other words, they'll first eat your servitor, and if you don't pay
your electricity bill, they'll eat you too.

Rafal