[extropy-chat] cryonicist living life in reverse

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Mar 14 05:07:02 UTC 2007

Eugen wrote

> Actually, this was one argument. Another was that lookup tables mapping
> sensorics to motorics are deterministic, if without inner state.
> If you add internal state, and evolutions on such, you've got a conventional
> computer. This is no longer a lookup table, giant, or otherwise.

Not completely sure what you mean, but my main point is this: either
subsequent states are *computed* from past states, or they are not.
If they are somehow "looked up", or somehow displayed in an arbitrary
or non-arbitrary fashion and there's no causation between them, then
it's extremely implausible that anyone is having an experience.

For otherwise, we might just find random patches of dust already existing
between the galaxies, and by looking at them the right way, discern
sequences of states congruent to a thinking, feeling being. About as
silly as Hillary Putnam's proof that rocks perform computations.

> > parts of it receding from us, so what?  We don't want to depend on
> > arguments that work only in our universe, but not in other MWI branches
> > totally identical to ours except for astronomical facts.

> How do you know there are such branches?

The same way you know that the universe is finite, I guess.

Lee