[extropy-chat] War Is Easy To Explain - Peace is Not

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Mar 15 01:36:29 UTC 2007

gts writes

> Surely you agree that if the world population doubled tomorrow, it would
> not follow that humans had become half as war-like.

No!  In that case, I'd go 100% over to Keith's explanations, and
anticipate that the world would become about two-hundred times
as warlike!  :-)

Seriously, I think that I'm finally getting Gordon's point.  (See for yourself,
below.) You are pointing out that all other things being equal, if the countries
of South America, to take a concrete example, remain constant in number
over a period of time, yet undergo population increase, then the likelihood
of war may not go up?

I see what you are saying now, and agree that that is a factor mitigating
my per-capita claims. But!  Only if you interpret my claim as being about
"wars per decade" or something like that.  Despite, perhaps, a failure on
my part to communicate it, I am really talking about on the *chance*,
or *probability*, of an individual succumbing to organized violence.
<Bad joke about European soccer matches elided>

But even so, to take South America again for the sake of concreteness,
wars as in "wars per decade" seem to have been strangely few.

Of course, if they *did* happen, then we might expect casualties in
proportion to the population, yet even recent wars seem to me to be
relatively bloodless. A German soldier in WWII could have easily
spent most of his time breaking camp, riding around in trucks, and
setting up camp, as his strategic masters move divisions across the
chessboard.  And Germany came off the worst---about 1 in 4 died
(in WWI, about 2/5 of the French soldiers died).  But in the old
days of total mayhem and hand to hand fighting, methinks the
casualties to have been much greater for an individual.

Lee

P.S.  Ah, so many great emails to read, so little time.