[extropy-chat] War Is Easy To Explain - Peace is Not

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Thu Mar 15 02:34:55 UTC 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 14:04, Keith Henson wrote:

> The last century and especially the last 50 years have seen technology
> staying ahead of population growth.
>
> When and if that falters, you should expect wars to reduce the
> population
> to whatever the long term carrying capacity of the environment can
> support.

I think there may also be some merit to a game-theoretical approach
to explaining this. Someone in this thread alluded to the economics
of war, and I think there is something to be made of that point.

"War" as in the concept of bloody conflict with the aim to secure
capitulation seems to have decreased on a per-capita basis over time.
No argument from me there.  "War" as a more general concept, however,
I'm not sure actually has.  There is a case to be made that we've
found that the most cost-effective way to engage in warfare now is
economic, not militarily. Case in point is the Cold War, which was
not won by guns, but rather by forcing/tricking the Soviets into
breaking their economy. I've seen reasonable arguments that the trade/
currency imbalance between the US and China is such a conflict.  From
the aforementioned game-theory standpoint, economic war makes sense
for the modern world, because it maximizes the return on investment.

I know a modern history professor who would argue that this is a
direct effect of the presence of nuclear weaponry, but I don't think
that claim is substantiable.

Brent

--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein