[extropy-chat] Precognition on TV

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 23:42:15 UTC 2007

At 04:12 PM 3/15/2007 -0700, Jef Allbright responded to my comment:

> > (There is no lack of peer-reviewed papers
> > available on the web, in the midst of a deluge of
> > insane "psychic" and "astrological" crap.

with, inter alia,

>UFO fad, ghost-hunting, and the like. I even visited a "holistics
>fair" recently and observed many true believers, even some selling
>"tachyon water." (I suspect their employer, however was not such a
>true believer, but rather a somewhat unethical business person.)
>
>As I said to Sondre, I seems to me that the evidence for these effects
>is little or none, and I weigh that relative to the perceived weight
>of evidence for alternate explanations.

But there's no point citing "holistics fairs" and "tachyon water"
when I've already denounced "psychic" crap as irrelevant. Tell me
what's crucially and killingly fallacious in the McMoneagle RV
experiments, for example. Or the growing number of controlled
"presponse" measurements, which physiological sensors register
significant responses not only in advance of a stimulus having been
generated but in advance of its being chosen at random from a
possible set of stimuli. I would not be surprised if this latter
protocol is what will finally establish the reality of some kinds of
reverse causality in perception, and will be published in the
heavy-duty scientific literature. It's sufficiently simple and
elegant that it edges toward resembling classic probes of visual or
acoustic acuity.

Damien Broderick