[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 18 17:09:21 UTC 2007

>It’s not clear to me that the
>chances of being saved by future posthumans is
>increased more, or even equally much, by a Ray
>Kurzweil way of living, than/as for example by a
>Mother Theresa way of being ­ given that the
>posthumans value altruism more than anything else.

Only if posthumans are godschmucked idiots will
they wish to retrieve Mother Teresa. I suggest
you read Christopher Hitchens’ book The Missionary Position. Or start with

http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/hitchens_16_4.html

e.g.:

"One of the most salient examples of people's
willingness to believe anything if it is garbed
in the appearance of holiness is the uncritical
acceptance of the idea of Mother Teresa as a
saint by people who would normally be thinking -
however lazily - in a secular or rational manner.
In other words, in every sense it is an unexamined claim.

It's unexamined journalistically - no one really
takes a look at what she does. And it is
unexamined as to why it should be she who is
spotlighted as opposed to many very selfless
people who devote their lives to the relief of
suffering in what we used to call the "Third
World." Why is it never mentioned that her stated
motive for the work is that of proselytization
for religious fundamentalism, for the most
extreme interpretation of Catholic doctrine? If
you ask most people if they agree with the pope's
views on population, for example, they say they
think they are rather extreme. Well here's
someone whose life's work is the propagation of
the most extreme version of that.

That's the first motive. The second was a sort of
journalistic curiosity as to why it was that no
one had asked any serious questions about Mother
Teresa's theory or practice. Regarding her
practice, I couldn't help but notice that she had
rallied to the side of the Duvalier family in
Haiti, for instance, that she had taken money -
over a million dollars - from Charles Keating,
the Lincoln Savings and Loans swindler, even
though it had been shown to her that the money
was stolen; that she has been an ally of the most
reactionary forces in India and in many other
countries; that she has campaigned recently to
prevent Ireland from ceasing to be the only
country in Europe with a constitutional ban on
divorce, that her interventions are always timed
to assist the most conservative and obscurantist forces."

Damien Broderick