[extropy-chat] Fragmentation of computations

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 01:58:30 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> fundamentally mysterious is going on. Other than that people tend to
> be baffled by recursion, especially if they're part of the process,
> especially if they've evolved a strong preference for a first-person
> point of view.

How about defining the grayscales of consciousness by the number of
levels of recursion that a subject is able to maintain without
dissociative personality splitting?  (ex:  resorting to some
fundamental indivisibility or supreme overbeing)

> Objects can be said to have subjective experience to the extent that
> they demonstrate a model of self which they can introspect.  This
> definition applies just as well to rocks and GLUTs as it does to dogs
> as it does to humans.

perhaps those "static rocks" are at an exit case of recursion, at
either extreme meaning of "I am" and nothing else.