[extropy-chat] Bowhead Whales May be the World's Oldest Mammals

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 05:14:07 UTC 2007

At 02:51 PM 3/28/2007 +1000, Stathis wrote:

>Average life span in humans in poorer countries is shorter than in
>wealthier countries due to a higher prevalence of and greater
>susceptibility to infectious disease, but maximum life span is not
>that different. The degenerative diseases of aging are not generally
>thought to be due to infectious agents.

Of course (although I wouldn't rule out *some* degenerative diseases
being due to an unavoidable accumulation of infection insults; cf.
heart diseases and bacteria). I'm hinting at something a bit more
subtle. Some birdies live very much longer than ground critters that
are metabolically very similar. The usual explanation is that the
lack of lots of natural aerial predators for these birdies allows
genetic drift, mutation, etc to extend their longevity, since
antagonistic pleiotropy is not pushing the value of adaptations that
are not usually injurious due to natural early mortality from
predation, intraspecific sex-contest injury, or infection. My thought
was that perhaps whales might benefit from some such effect, but on a
microscale. Of course, this would be true on a macroscale as well, as
with elephants. Or maybe it's just a fluke. (Sorry.)

Damien Broderick