[extropy-chat] A bigger Nit (was Fragmentation of computations)

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:53:07 UTC 2007

I will only comment briefly on this -- from personal experience.  I have
been in an isolation tank (once long ago) for an hour or so.  I found it
neither disconcerting nor uncomfortable.  How one would deal with it on an
ongoing basis (weeks or months) is open to debate.  I think I would be
perfectly content with a large volume of input and perhaps a small volume of
output (though I love to talk with people, I may not absolutely require
extensive interaction with them, so whether output were received and
processed may be much less important than whether I personally believed I
had some insight.)  I suspect however that I am not "normal" and that for
most people being confined in a noncommunicative state for extended periods
might not be considered a good situation. [1]

Robert

1. Given that humans tend to be social animals, one would have to question
how isolation could not be considered a "cruel and unusual punishment."