[extropy-chat] What's the Greatest Innovation?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue May 1 18:26:04 UTC 2007

I like Frank Wilczek's reply:

The greatest innovation in physics, and I think in all of science,
was the discovery that important behaviour of natural objects can be
described with mathematical precision.  This was the centrepiece of
the 17th century scientific revolution, after which we've never
looked back. It sharply divides the sort of rough-and-ready intuitive
semi-understanding that comes to us naturally, and even satisfied
such powerful and such sophisticated minds as Aristotle and Thomas
Aquinas, from today's science.

All the subsequent 'revolutions', including electromagnetic field
theory, relativity, and quantum mechanics, were inevitable after that
discovery; as were the technologies of the Industrial and Information
revolutions. You can't find what you're not looking for; but if you
know what to look for, and it's there, eventually you'll find it!