[extropy-chat] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 43, Issue 53

leo hilarleo at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:32:04 UTC 2007

hello hello [new here]

there's at least one widely read
and mathematically memorable short story about a few
such implicit issues of such transhuman societies:

"WANG'S CARPETS" by Greg Egan
in  Dozois' "Best Science Fiction, Thirteenth Annual..."
(& according to one reader poll
"... #13 (1995) is perhaps the best of all of Gardner's Annuals..." ).

_Wang_ refers to the mathematician Wang Hao – the carpets are living
embodiments of Wang tiles, and provide a further model of transhuman
societies.

& although I dont know it meself,
"this story, minorly reworked, became a section of the novel Diaspora".

leo
'somewhere' in Second Life

At 11:30 PM 4/30/2007 -0400, Keith wrote:
>I have been working on an unpublishable novel where the big problem of a
>hundred years hence is to prevent all the physical state human population
>from vanishing into simulations.
>
>I started it before Second Life.  I never dreamed I would see such an
>example before I finished it.

I wrote one 30 years ago, published finally in 1982, in which almost
all remnant humans have withdrawn into simulations (under the lofty
custodianship of human-AI cyborgs). I never dreamed it would take so long. :)

Damien Broderick