[extropy-chat] War and technological progress

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 1 19:54:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 12:19:28PM -0700, Thomas wrote:

> I just looked at the Cost of War
> <http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182>
> figure: $421 billion and rising!  Over $6 billion of that came from my
> state and over 5 million homes with renewable electricity could have
> been built with that money.1  Instead of a preemptive war on a non
> aggressor nation or a hype "War on Terror" or a "War on Drugs" lets have
> a War on Aging and fund nano research to the tune of $40 billion (one
> tenth the cost of the war) or so for starters.
>
> Does your general "Not true!" mean you think Bush a good leader for us?
>  Does it mean you think war the best choice for achieving progress?
>  Does it mean you think me seriously wrong or deceitful?  Or do you
> perhaps think Bush impeachable for mixing politics and religion on the
> stem cell issue?  -- Thomas

My opinion as a moderator that tagespolitik should have no channel time,
on this list. There are ample opportunities to discuss that elsewhere.

http://www.google.com/search?q=impeachment
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=impeach+bush&btnG=Search
etc.

(My private opinion: don't waste time about talking impeachment online, just
get off the internets, and do it, for a change).

We now return to our usual programming.