[ExI] C does not stand for the speed of light... (Colbert)

Josh Cowan jcowan5 at sympatico.ca
Thu May 3 00:56:49 UTC 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Emlyn wrote:
Snip:

> Australian English is something I used to care about a lot, but I find
> I'm starting to succumb to the charms of the dark side. It's the
> internet doing it to me, damnit. Some introspection tells me I
> identify with the net far more than with Australia now. And online,
> there are two kinds of english: International English (needs another
> name... English' ?), a kind of creole spoken by people from
> non-english speaking backgrounds (eg: all of codeproject.com), and
> American English for the sticklers (like myself). American English has
> become the high ground! Yee gods!

I've been wondering, when a sentient AI is created if there will be
issues for speakers of certain languages in dealing with a gender
neutral entity? For example, I've just started learning French and it
seems all nouns are assigned a gender. What about a being that is
gender neutral?  O.K., I know this issues isn't up there with whether
one dies every observer moment but still...

Josh Cowan