[ExI] [extropy-chat] META: "Killthread": Is it censorship or sensible?

John Grigg desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 02:26:18 UTC 2007

Natasha Vita-More wrote:
  I see what you (Brett) are doing as something different but sharing some similarities.  You posted on a topic that you are passionate about.  The difference with you and me is that you are blaming and making accusations and insulting list members.  I would not do this because even if people do not agree with me, I do my best to accept the differences.  You are also different than me in the way you handled this.  Instead of approaching the topic from a constructive inclusive manner, you made assumptions and accusations.  This never sits well with list members.

And, finally, I do not like is the content of your (Brett) response to the list moderator (Eugene) requesting that the thread be killed.  You made a threat and does not sit well with me and I'm sure others.  But putting that aside, what do other list members think of this thread?

Lastly, I do think this is a topic that warrants objective examination and search for resolution.  I invite you to think about this.

In hopes of resolution rather than slamming doors

  I"m grateful to Natasha for weighing in on this matter.  I personally feel Brett and I had the right to discuss what we did and not be stopped.  But on the other hand Eugene Leitl is a moderator and a prominent list contributor who I respect (and I will add, like).  I suppose I thought I had a better feel for Eugene's personality (I have never met him in person) and I was surprised by the killthread order which seemed to come almost out of the blue.

  I cringed as I read Brett's response to Eugene.  I generally really enjoy Brett's posts for their insights on world politics and where the U.S. fits in and so I was very sad to see Brett temporarily lose his cool.  But I realize that can happen to almost anyone.

  Natasha wrote:
  >In hopes of resolution rather than slamming doors

  I also hope we can all learn from this and that no grudges will be held.

  Sincerely,

  John Grigg