[ExI] Avoiding Coarseness in our Dialogs

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu May 3 15:16:44 UTC 2007

John Clark wrote

> Ask him. I'm the one who first brought up that point but I never got a
> coherent response from him over it.
>
>> Who, besides you, gives a ---- about your subjective experience?
>
> Nobody, but you care about your subjective experience and want it to
> continue, that's why you jump out of the way when a car is coming toward
> you. And I believe the missing word is "fuck".

I am starting to be more and more affected by what I am reading
lately about history and sociology (e.g. Fukuyama's "Trust", essays
on "social capital"), and even what John C. Wright had to say and
the way he said it.

Why are we allowing the level of our discourse to continue to degenerate?
All for the sake of our not-so-new idol "plain talk", that came in in the
1950's?  Can it really be true that there are no deleterious consequences?
Isn't the logical end to such a progression "rap"?

Do we want to go down to the level of  the Math Forum that replaced
the old usenet group?  Half the posts were overrun with expletives
*even* in their subject lines!

I heard yesterday that Ronald Reagan never swore.  I wonder if it's
true.  If it is, then he was the *only* president that I know of of whom
it's true, and that includes George Washington, about which hardly
anything negative can be said.

Just raising the issue---asking questions at this point---that's all.

Lee