[ExI] a trifle of nomenclature

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri May 4 05:33:19 UTC 2007

Damien writes

>>Every intelligence agency in the world believed that Hussein
>>had the WMD, and he behaved and acted as though he did too.
>
> I was under the impression that this was his given name, but no--and
> neither is Hussein his surname. Here's the good oil:

He should have been addressed, even internationally, as he wished
to be addressed (Miss Manners again).

If we don't know, then it's a trade-off between brevity (as in Saddam,
or Hussein) and politeness, which for us would be Mr. Hussein, in
order to show respect.  (I am making no comment on the alleged
deliberate mispronunciation of "Hussein" by Bush the First in order
to rattle him.)

Lee