[ExI] Fundamentalism and a Scientific Outlook

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri May 4 06:52:54 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Calling Dawkins a saboteur is completely irresponsible.    If you
> disagree with his argument (as I largely do) then show where it is
> flawed.  But don't  put down such a man just because you find one of
> his opinions inconvenient or even embarrassing.   Do we have so
> little cohesion among ourselves compared to believers?   Are we so
> ill at ease with our minority status that we vilify our own?

I just spent several posts explaining where I disagree with the arguments in
question. As for why I'm pissed off with them, look at it from my
perspective: obviously I'm not going to change your opinion on the question
of religion being worth preserving, so consider the other issue - do you
agree with me that science is worth preserving? Assuming the answer is yes,
if you saw someone taking actions that, in your estimation, were precisely
those that would maximize the probability of science being consigned to the
trash heap of history, would you not get pissed off with him too?