[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat May 5 01:49:58 UTC 2007

On 05/05/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

Well, there's the essential lie of the intrinsic value of the self.

When I was in my teens, I realised one day that nothing matters; it's just
that we think it matters. Whereas when it comes to the truth thinking that
something is the case has no causal power, when it comes to values thinking
that something is the case is the whole point. Therefore, values and the
truth need have nothing in common. This was why religious and non-religious
people alike sometimes talked about "a higher truth" or "Truth": they knew
it was all crap and they had to dress it up to convince themselves
otherwise. This is not to say that what matters to us doesn't *matter*, just
that what matters isn't *true* other than in the trivial sense that it is
the case that it matters to us.

--
Stathis Papaioannou