[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sat May 5 05:04:40 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> You obviously believe that the truth is better than falsehood and you're
> probably right. However, it is at least logically possible that
> widespread belief in a Noble Lie might have a net positive effect. In
> that case, is it still better to destroy the Lie regardless of the
> consequences?

By the logical definition of "net positive", no.  In real life, yes.
That is, I think the condition you have just logically defined would
be quite extremely hard to fulfill.  I suppose I would believe a lie
if the alternative were the destruction of humanity, but in real life
it works the other way around.