[ExI] POL: DHEA ban

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Sat May 5 13:15:32 UTC 2007

On Friday, May 04, 2007 8:50 AM BillK pharos at gmail.com wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Technotranscendence wrote:
> > This is what the Life Extension Foundation wants its US members to
send
> > to the US Congress.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dan
> > I am writing to urge you to vote AGAINST any legislation that would
> > restrict my free access to a dietary supplement called
> > dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).
> >
> <snip>
>

> Wikipedia and Skeptic's dictionary don't think much of DHEA.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydroepiandrosterone>
> <http://skepdic.com/dhea.html>
>
> Quote:
> In short, taking DHEA is a high-risk gamble based on insubstantial
evidence.
> The main voices in favor of DHEA as a miracle drug are those who are
> selling it or who make a good living selling books or programs
> advocating "natural cures."

I'm not sure LEF is touting DHEA (or any other substance) as a "miracle
drug."

Also, what is wrong with people taking the risk on DHEA?  They certainly
take risks on things that have the potential to do far more harm?

As a general question to you:  Do you see any scope for free choice at
all in life?  Or does it all come down to whatever the politicians tell
you is okay?

Regards,

Dan