[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 6 08:30:31 UTC 2007

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> What we want to become is clear to us: we want to remain more or less
> ourselves but move to much better bodies and much smarter minds. But
> for our opponents it is easy to construct "posthuman" as eliminating
> tender and loving humans and replacing them with cold and heartless
> machines.

Do you think you can speak for all of us and what "we" want?  I don't
want to remain more or less myself in many respects.  I want to grow and
change and create the design that will replace slow evolution for
creatures such as me.   Humans are not altogether or even mainly tender
and loving.  Humans are wonderful in many respects but also horrid,
weak, of limited intelligence, and governed in large part by unconscious
processes.    I for one desire to help overcome some of these
limitations and make it possible for others to do the same.   I have no
need to retain the label "human" if it is defined as keeping many of
these things.   I think it would be very human to be hung up on this but
that is not necessarily a good thing.

Why would those who had gone beyond many human limitations and foibles
be necessarily cold and heartless?  This should be challenged.  That is
much more productive in my opinion than clinging to the label "human" in
response.

- samantha