[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 7 02:57:58 UTC 2007

Max More wrote:
> A question for those, like spike, who found religion to be "an
> extremely positive experience"--especially those of a Fundamentalist
> belief system: Did you take seriously the idea of Hell as a place of
> eternal torment and damnation?

I was never of a fundamentalist persuasion and eschewed the idea of hell
by about age 11.  But I seem to have some affinity for meditative and
mystical states.  Around the end of the Vietnam war I was wide open to
the "conscious expansion is our only hope" memes so I dived into various
mostly Eastern religious mystical systems.  I recovered for some time
and then went through another serious bout many years later.

> In the period just before I shucked off my Christian beliefs in my
> early-mid teens, I DID take the idea seriously. As a result, I found
> the process of losing the religion highly distressing. For about a
> year I kept thinking "What if I'm wrong?" followed by thoughts of
> eternal, horrible misery. (It didn't help that my (half-)brother
> assured me, one Christmas Day, that I would indeed go to Hell for
> rejecting Jesus.)

I couldn't manage to believe that God would torment people eternally for
one life of not managing to belief "the right stuff" or for being as
imperfect as the preachers insisted we were created or doomed to be from
birth.   It made no sense and did not square with what my budding
mysticism led me too either.

> That painful experience no doubt fed the following period of
> aggressive, sometimes obnoxious, atheism. I'm curious how others felt
> as they struggled out of those chains.

When I first turned atheist at 13 it was difficult at first to wrap my
head around a naturalist worldview.  I first built it up as a
hypothetical way of looking at things in my head.  Then with it seemed
self consistent I gradually moved in.  At first it was very jarring.
But it soon felt as if a tremendous amount of guilt, metaphysical dread
and seeing God (or worse) behind every bush was removed.    But it still
felt pretty lonely and bereft of part of myself for a long time.

- samantha