[ExI] Drivel Manifesto

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon May 14 04:10:57 UTC 2007

Samantha writes

>> While the world "burns"??   What planet has the writer been living on?
>> How could anyone be so incredibly ignorant?  Does he ever employ
>> percentages, one wonders? It's as though to this person everyone is still
>> living in a string of very small villages somewhere, and that those numbers
>> do not need to be considered relative to 6,000,000,000 people---the vast,
>> vast majority of them who are almost unbelievably better off than centuries ago.
>
> I don't find this dismissive style productive.  Our world is burning
> despite its prosperity.

"Burning"?  Our world?  As compared to what?   The only thing that seems
to be burning to me is the usual inflamed rhetoric and over-focus on
the "burning issues" of the day.

> Our current position is no stable nor is it obvious at all that we will do
> (or even reasonably understand) what is necessary to advance it.

Welcome to Reality 1.0.   Thus has it always been.  Even in the best of
times, human beings are quarrelsome trouble-makers, and we won't
be getting around to utopia any time soon.

> Accusing someone of having lost their mind is not reasonable.  Please
> restrain yourself.

You're right.  I was out of my mind.  Er..., I was... well forget it:  you're right
and it not reasonable or productive of me to speak that way  :-)

Lee

P.S.  Thanks to Eli for the timely and accurate change of subject line.