[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed May 23 01:49:15 UTC 2007

Bill,

Didn't notice your post below until after I sent my own reply to the
request for sources.

I was certainly paraphrasing the situation (and being a little tongue in
cheek) by saying that it was deliberate male activism that was
responsible for the change.

What I was trying to say was that there was a more or less common usage
of 'they' for the GNP, at one point, and that even though this usage may
have been technically incorrect ("bad grammar"), it does seem to have
been fairly widespread.  Then a bunch of people (not all of them men)
did make deliberate attempts to change it.

I notice that the disputed Wikipedia article looks as though it is
treading a rather fine line, here, because it implies that the
grammatical incorrectness of the they=GNP usage back in the Middle Ages
somehow means that those folks were not really treating 'they' as being
a valid GNP, but just not talking proper, according to them's own rules,
like y'know?  Me, I am much more of a "language is what people actually
speak, and damn the language lawyers" kind of person, so the fact that
so many people did say 'they' is good enough for me to say that it was a
defacto GNP.

Fun stuff, etymology.  Totally pointless, but fun.

Richard Loosemore.