[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 15:12:11 UTC 2007

My guess is that the idiomatic use of "issue" as a synonym for "problem"
came to us courtesy of the software industry. I was in the software
business back in 1982, and as far as I can remember, in those days bugs
were always called "bugs". Then, sometime perhaps in the mid-80's or early
90's, bugs became "issues" --- probably the idea of some long-forgotten
legal or marketing exec at a major software company.

I don't have an issue with "issue" because it really is the better word.
It implies something close to "controversy" (the word "issue" has this
legitimate connotation in the legal profession) and controversies do not
imply judgements of fault or even the necessary existence of tangible
problems. We cannot know if a real problem exists, and where or what the
problem is, or who or what is at fault for the problem, until we
understand the *controversy* i.e., until we understand the *issue*.

Sometimes the bug is with the customer's wetware rather than with the
software, and "wetware-bug" is close to the idiomatic use of the word
"issue" to mean "mental problem". So there is at least a bit of logic to
the evolution of the psycho-babble connotation.

-gts