[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed May 23 16:17:18 UTC 2007

Lee Corbin wrote:
> I thought of a better analogy.  Regarding an extremely advanced AI, we
> can hope that the human race becomes to it  as an old photograph is to us,
> one merely kept around for sentimental reasons.
>
> For just as you might keep a photograph of your great great grandfather,
> so might an AI (friendly or not) wish to maintain an infinitesimal record of
> its progenitors.
>
> Lee

But this presupposes something that I do not think will happen:  that
there will be a clear dividing line between us and these extremely
advanced AIs, in the same way that there is currently a clear dividing
line between us and our pets.

I have never subscribed to this idea:  it has always seemed a given that
we will be able to move fluidly between our level of intelligence and
that of these 'higher' creatures.

Likewise, I think they will be just as interested in pouring their
consciousness back and forth between different vessels.  It will
probably be one of the main activities of both ourselves and these
superintelligences, to explore different sensoria, different powers of
thought, different types of consciousness.  Who wouldn't want to be a
cat for a day?  Who wouldn't occasionally want the simplicity of being
humble gardener, free from all this knowledge about the universe that
can sometimes get to be a burden?  Who wouldn't want to see the world
again through the innocent eyes of a child, at least for while?  Who
wouldn't want to put their accumulated adult memories aside
occasionally, and experience the joy of discovering things again for the
first time, perhaps in a different way each time?

I can see ways to do this, technically, and I see a way to understand
consciousness itself that makes it seem perfectly feasible.

So I see a different analogy:  I see them and us really being the same,
but with all of us able to put on different sets of clothes each day:
each set of clothes being our choice of form for the day.

Richard Loosemore.