[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:14:45 UTC 2007

> > On 5/21/07, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> <sigh>
> >> I don't know why I rise to this bait...

Jef wrote:
> > Same here.  I must have issues.  ;-)

We all have issues, Jef.  Otherwise we wouldn't be on this list.  ;-)

Lee wrote:
> "Same here"?  Whatever are the two of you on about?
> and PJ mentioned the "bait" occuring here somehow.  What exactly
> is that?  Speaking of language "rising to bait" implies that an imposition
> has occurred some way.

It simply means that it's our bait.  You're just doing what comes
naturally -- throwing in a line.  But a fish is not required to see a
juicy worm on a hook and bite it.  Smart fish avoid the hook because
they recognize it as a potential danger.  But some fish, like us, just
can't help it.  So you send out what look to us like either an obvious
misunderstanding or zingers.  Jef and I respond to the bait.  And we
get into scuffles like this.  Like I said, dumb fish. (Although I
should be speaking only for myself, Jef.  I suspect you are a smarter
fish than I.)

I'm a slow learner in some things.  It's taken me a long time and
repeated self-bashings on the email brain to learn that irony/satire
doesn't translate here and especially not with some readers.  My
apologies, Lee.

Jef and I understand each other because 1) we know each other in the
real world and 2) we have overlapping sensibilities.  FYI, I'm even
more ironic, facetious, self-deprecating and subversive in person.

PJ