[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:17:24 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> I would have assumed that it is easier to build machines without emotions. I
> don't doubt that computers can have emotions, because the belief that the
> brain is a machine necessitates this. However, although I see much evidence
> of intelligence in computers even today, I don't see evidence of emotions.
> This is a bit perplexing, because in the animal kingdom it doesn't take much
> intelligence to be able to experience an emotion as basic and crude as pain.
> It should in theory be possible to write a program which does little more
> than experience pain when it is run, perhaps in proportion to some input
> variable so that the programmer can then torture his creation. Maybe such
> programs are already being accidentally implemented as subroutines in larger
> programs, and we just don't know it.
>
> Probably more stable than a population of machines which already know what
> they want and are busily scheming and self-modifying to get it. However, as
> you have argued before there is always the possibility that some individual
> in a population of tame AI's will spontaneously turn rogue, and then lord it
> over all the other AI's and humans. On the other hand, a rogue AI will not
> necessarily have any competitive advantage in terms of intelligence or power
> compared to its tame siblings.
>
> I think the safest way to proceed is to create AI's with the motivation of
> the disinterested scientist, interested only in solving intellectual
> problems (which is not present in the example of the schizophrenic). This
> would even be preferable to designing them to love humans; many of the
> greatest monsters of history thought they were doing the best thing for
> humanity.

'safest'???
Iran develops (copies & modifies) a non-emotional machine that is
ordered to describe the best methods of killing as many infidels as
possible, while keeping Iran secure.
This is safe????

Once the tech becomes available it won't just be nice intellectuals that use it.
The brutal, vicious gangster-types will use it also.

That's the trouble with tools. The bad guys get them as well.

BillK