[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:50:24 UTC 2007

Now remember that even anything as primitive as an orginal human
> being (uploaded, no doubt) will still have total formal control over
> his emotions. I guess you want to be a happy cat. Well, why not be
> an even happier advanced human and be able to appreciate it more?

Why not just have the happiness at no cost? You might say, because being an
intelligent being has a certain je ne sais quoi, adding richness to the raw
emotion of happiness. However, if you have complete access to your mind you
will be able to pin down this elusive quality and then give it to yourself
directly, in large amounts. And if that won't quite do either, because it
isn't the real thing, well, you can just work out what extra positive
feeling the real thing would have provided and give *that* to yourself
directly.

--
Stathis Papaioannou