[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat May 26 15:07:56 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou Wrote:

> Evolution does not dictate that an organism does one thing or another.

I rather think it does.

> It's just that

JUST?!

> those organisms which do things that promote survival and reproduction
> will survive and reproduce.

And thus those are the only ones you will see, so Evolution does dictate
that an organism does one thing and not another.

> We might build a computer whose only purpose is to be an expensive space
> heater

We might, but you know something, I'll be willing to bet you good money that
we won't.

> and no matter how smart it is, it won't come to the conclusion that it is
> wasting its time

By your own admission the AI is capable of "fantastically complex cognitive
feats", but you think the above conclusion is too fantastically complex even
for it to deduce. And if you really believe that then there is this bridge
I'd like to sell you.

> because proving that using logic is worse than futile

More of that nonsense (still very popular with the masses) that you can only
get out of a computer what you put into it. If you don't specifically write
into the AI's source code that there easier ways to generate heat than
building a giant computer and putting it into an infinite loop then the AI,
regardless of how smart it is, will never (and I do mean never) be able to
figure it out. Yea, right, in your dreams maybe.

> it's a category error.

A category error is when you say something has a property it not only does
not have but could not possibly have, I can find nothing in my recent posts
that describes something that not only lacks the attributes I claim it has
but could not possibly have them.

  John K Clark