[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun May 27 00:35:58 UTC 2007

On 5/26/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Ye, poetry writing, music writing and painting AI programs have all
> been developed.  Some of them are on occasion surprisingly good.   Do
> you mean did they spontaneously do these things?  Do human beings
> spontaneously do them or are they "programmed" if you will with such
> general powerful algorithms and voluminous training experiences and
> information that such things are possible results?

Neither; we are specifically programmed to indulge in this sort of activity,
because in the ancestral environment it boosted our status, improved our
chances of finding an attractive mate. The possession of powerful algorithms
for things like vision and language is a necessary precondition, of course,
but not sufficient.