[ExI] History of Slavery

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun May 27 17:06:10 UTC 2007

From: "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:47 AM

> I fail to see what the above paragraph from Lee has substantially to
> do with white privilege.

It doesn't.  And that's exactly the problem (white people tend to see things
from the perspective of their own lives and experiences).

However, there is an entire system of resources and people often aligned
against anyone who is not white in this country. To simply pretend it's not
there or that it has no effect on people who are not white people is
delusional.

Black people like Sowell really get me because they do not address
systematic inequalities.  They must realize that complete independence
inside white society is impossible and counterproductive for any progressive
agenda for black people, so they maintain the status quo - therefore
guaranteeing that no real progress will ever be made.  Perhaps they've even
been convinced (or have convinced themselves) that that is really the way to
do.

> What Lee wrote was not particularly meant to be a perspective
> (subjective) view but a more less objective rendition of the
> prevalence of slavery, numerical comparisons of where it was
> widespread and a bit of history regarding whether the ending of
> slavery began and was partially carried out in much of the world.

I am familiar with the history of slavery on the scale of world history (I'm
even a "Slav" - but because I'm white - in contrast to blacks and other
American people of color in the US - I could assimilate the minute I set
foot in the US ).

I am saying that in the overview history of slavery, there is a mentality
difference between different groups of oppressed people and that it needs to
be explored ... and not ignored.

> The perspective he offered  is not particularly color bound.

Exactly.  The perspective Lee offered is only skin deep (that is to say, I'm
saying there is no such thing as "not particularly color bound").  Besides,
who but white people have the audacity and the privilege to  speak in
"objective" and not "color bound" ways?  Sheesh.

Olga