[ExI] Class Differences Among Black People

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 28 19:51:27 UTC 2007

Olga Bourlin wrote:
> [...]

No one said otherwise.  But if you are to be taken seriously you need to
give some supporting argument.

>>> He has said a great deal about why he believes many of the things
>>>
>> tried not only did not help but made the problems worse.
>>

> Essentially, Sowell blames poor people for being poor.  As if poor people
> don't have enough problems.  A real class act, that Sowell.

I don't believe his positions are remotely reducible to this.  However,
there are cultural aspects that tend to perpetuate many situations, good
or ill.  It would be good to examine what those might be and how to
overcome them in whole or part to reduce the ill of poverty and ignorance.

>> That is quite a gross over-simplifying dismissal.  You might want to work
>> on that.
>>

> I don't see much in our society that inspires me to think otherwise.  Do
> you?  (If so, please inform me where all this progressive amelioration is
> taking place ... or where white people are becoming more informed or
> concerned about anything having to do with blacks in our country.)

Over generalization is a general intellectual weakness.  It has little
to do with anything external.

>> No I don't see and you certainly have not shown any such thing.  Your
>> blanket accusations without even bothering to check the source are quite
>> disturbing.
>>

> All right, all right.  I tend to exaggerate for the effect sometimes.  But,
> if you haven't observed - don't know - don't believe - that there haven't
> been such "prostitutes" working for those who pimp certain attitudes in our
> country - I would find THAT quite disturbing.

Well of course there are intellectual pimps and prostitutes and worse
out there.  But that doesn't mean a particular person is without more
evidence.

> While I have not read the book Lee mentioned, I have read Sowell columns (as
> well as columnist Stanley Crouch, who is more hit-and-miss, but functions in
> much the same role as Sowell).
>
> So, okay - in the spirit of "Keep your friends close, and your enemies
> closer," I may have to read the book by Sowell - about "class," no less
> (well, there's always Dramamine to help ...).  Black Rednecks and White
> Liberals (2005) by laissezfairebooks, no less.  Damn, but I hate the term
> "rednecks" - what a classist thing of the esteemed Sowell to say from the
> get-go.  Yeccccccccch.
>
> But I'll try to read the book, even though the prospect fills me with a kind
> of dread.  Give me a few weeks.

Excellent.  I have ordered it myself so perhaps we and others can do a
bit of virtual book club on it.

- samantha