[ExI] france again

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 31 15:24:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:38:02AM -0400, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> I used to work for 16 hours at full concentration as a resident. 12

I think it's well documented how much impairment due to chronical fatigue
there is in the health industry (elsewhere, you'd go to jail because
you're more impaired than DUI). Just because it's a part of the culture
it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

> hours is peanuts even now, in my old age.

Don't tell me you could code (not in the critical care sense)
12 hours straight. Sustainably. Most people have trouble with 8 h,
effective hours (as in: not yakking at the water cooler).

> My boss works about 12 - 14 hour workdays. He gets about three times

12-14 h physical work is ok. 12-14 h mental work, no way.

> more done than I do, in part because I work only 8 to 10 hours.

8 h is doable, though it starts grinding you down after a while.
If you claim 10 h/day effective work, I'd rather to see a proof
of that, a proof as in analysis of a video recording.