[ExI] Other thoughts on transhumanism and religion

neville late neville_06 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 20:16:05 UTC 2007

Jeff, yours post below is another really beautiful one! Tears of joy indeed, but also sadness for the ones we love who have departed?
  Many of the religious object to embryonic cell research but what other intractable scientific conflicts can any of you mention? i recently became a moral (not per se mystical) christian and am very eager to know.

  Bravo! Samantha. Spoken (written, actually) with power and passion.

Like a good American, I learned to believe, and embraced the belief,
that this country was the model of the good life for all of humanity.
The problems of the past would soon be solved by the productivity
emerging in modernity. But dreams outpace reality, and the old cling
to the old ways, slowing the race to the rainbows end. Still, filled
with the vitality of wonder we move ever forward, the young leap
eagerly to the fore, the mouldering corpses trail away behind,
reuniting with the dust.

When society strays into the minefield of its dark side, assaulting my
optimism, I withdraw to my "happy place ", commune with my inner geek,
and revisit the wonders to come, or simply remember the night I stood
beneath the stars and realized that ultra-low temperature storage was
my ticket to the next stage of the adventure. Such was my geekiness
that the moment arrived as a simple gentle epiphany without bombshell
or blaring of trumpets.

And yes, I agree, tell the world. It's damn fine news. Especially
now, when we need a hopeful message to bring us all back to the path
of our better angels.

No tears but tears of joy.
--
Best, Jeff Davis