[ExI] nano radio!

ilsa ilsa.bartlett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:45:02 UTC 2007

 This is amazing.  What next?  More stations, I guess.

Make way for the real "nanopod" and make room in the *Guinness Book of World
Records*. A team of researchers at Berkeley Lab and UC Berkeley has created
the first fully functional radio from a single carbon nanotube, which makes
it by several orders of magnitude the smallest radio ever made. "A single
carbon nanotube molecule serves simultaneously as all essential components
of a radio — antenna, tunable band-pass filter, amplifier, and demodulator,"
said physicist *Alex Zettl*, who led the research. "Using carrier waves in
the commercially relevant 40-400 MHz range and both frequency and amplitude
modulation (FM and AM), we were able to demonstrate successful music and
voice reception." Go to

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/MSD-nanoradio.html

to read the full story, which includes video of sound (Star Wars theme)
recorded on the nanotube radio.

--
Ilsa Bartlett
Institute for Rewiring the System

"Don't ever get so big or important that you can not hear and listen to
every other person."
-John Coltrane