[ExI] Transhumanism from first principles

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 15:00:10 UTC 2007

Natasha Vita-More once defined H+ as "the commitment to overcoming human
limits in all forms," it is the deepest commitment to self-creation
requiring the most serious mind, whether the consequences be the dreaded
cancer that fills reality full of forms, or the equally and oppositely
unwarranted complacency that (I suspect) has fallen over the >H
community as of late, that serves as a minima on the Great Unfolding of
reality. Striking the 'right' rate is tricky, and hopefully this can
serve to stimulate some minds.

As Neo put it in the original script to The Matrix:
> I believe that to be truly free, truly free, you cannot change your
> cage. You have to change yourself.
http://fusionanomaly.net/matrix.html

There has been discussion in the past on the transient nature of the
self. We are continuously being recreated again and again. Is it not
within our reach to tap into this recreation process (the change) and
tell the unfolding story of individual selves as we mean to?

From 1995 came "The Truth" said to be essentially transhumanist:
> The wise among us accept their true identity as being part of a
> growing god, and they attempt to live aligned with the godward path of
> our growing universe by always making choices that help themselves and
> all others become their most godlike.
http://web.archive.org/web/19970212041820/www.the-truth.com/summary.html

And in 1989 began the Silicon (Br)/otherhood:
> Now we, the initiators, explorers, guardians and even exploiters of
> the Silicon awareness revolution are concerned about its uses and
> abuses, and above all, acknowlegde its potential for growing awareness
> and human transcedence. We owe today's hackers and whiz- kids, and
> ourselves, the opportunity to follow the Silicon Path, becoming the
> magi(cians) and mystics of our times. If the computer is nothing but
> another way to get in touch with the ultimate reality (and what else
> could it be), it needs some `small' br/others to safeguard that path.
http://www.net.info.nl/myster/school/brtherh.htm

Neverness (1988):
> I am not interested in things getting better; what I want is more:
> more human beings, more dreams, more history, more consciousness, more
> suffering, more joy, more disease, more agony, more rapture, more
> evolution, more life.
http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Cultural/Art/zindell.html

However: from my observations of transhumanists, while some want more
(in the information theoretic, programmed, thermodynamical, or
complexity sense), others seem to want things to be Better, for the
universe and reality to be other than it is, in a much more 'social'
sense.

I understand and respect that there exists a diversity of forms, and
this diversity is important, yes, but it still irks me as to how H+ has
become a playground encompassing more than was originally, perhaps,
intended. Wouldn't H+ imply the transcension beyond good/bad and in its
place the responsibility of caretaker, of programmer-scientist,
storyteller, of change agent?

Ultimately I suspect that there are some first principles from which
transhumanism can be derived and if not, something close to it. These
first principles would be able to give us a glimpse into whether or
not 'ethics' and 'morality' are truly needed at the core of
transhumanist philosophy.

- Bryan