[ExI] Transhumanism from first principles

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 4 17:01:12 UTC 2007

Ja, I see your point.

Here is one that I consider especially relevant to transhumanism.  Suppose a
technology comes along that gives humanity more and better of everything.
Now suppose one can roughly divide humanity in halves by how much stuff they
have.  Call them the haves and the have-nots.

This new technology gives the have-nots twice as much and twice-as-better
than they had before (yaaaaa!).  But the haves get four times as much and
four times as better as before.  Now everyone has more and better than
before, some twice, the others four times.  But now the gap between the
haves and have-nots is twice what is was.  Did humanity progress?  Of
course.

This is exactly what has happened, ja?  Technology has given humanity more
and better, but those who already had more and better received more and
better still.  I can easily imagine this process accelerating dramatically.
Lesson: get in a position to take advantage of more and better technology.