[ExI] robert pirsig's bike in zen and mm

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 11 17:08:12 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

spike:
> > ....  I would do it myself but I am too non-blackberry at computers. I
> > am good at fixing up old bikes however.  {8-]
>
> I'm reading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". Have been wanting
> to read it since mid 1980s... Eugen Leitl

For years we thought there was only one surviving photo of Pirsig's bike,
the one on the inside dust cover of the original book.  I recently found
there are about a dozen from the trip:

http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/Pictures-Robert-P
irsigs-original-1968-trip?page=1

Cool!

Some sources claim Pirsig rode a CB360.  This is incorrect, the CB360 wasn't
produced until nine years later.  It is an example of an error in an early
source that was carelessly replicated countless times, like a faulty gene
embedding itself into an evolving genome, causing untold suffering.

Pirsig and his (late) son Chris rode a 1967 model BC77 Superhawk, a 305 cc
twin, which makes their cross country trek all the more heroic.

http://www.honda305.com/superhawk/

I have been looking for a good original superhawk for years, one that I can
restore and add the aftermarket white panniers (good luck in finding those)
so that I could attempt to ride it on a 40th anniversary retracing of
Pirsig's ZMM route next summer.  I don't think it will happen, because those
who have a good original 67 superhawk know what they own, and want
skerjillions for it.  If I thought of it, there are probably unwashed masses
of Pirsig fans searching for 67 superhawks, devouring them off of eBay,
running up the price.  Some yahoo has a buy-it-now price of over 3200 bucks.
{8-[