[ExI] robert pirsig's bike in zen and mm

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 14 00:21:01 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jef Allbright
> Subject: [ExI] robert pirsig's bike in zen and mm
>
> Spike, old man.  I'm afraid I gave you the wrong impression.  Humor's
> fine with me, and I often embed jokes, self-referential, punny, or
> otherwise in my writing.  I like it a lot. I like to do it.  And when
> others do it I like to watch.  Observe, I mean.  Humor.
>
> Basically I've just decided I need to invest my time more wisely.
>
> - Jef

Oh OK good, thanks for posting Jef.  On several occasions I have determined
to stop wasting most of my intellectual energy thinking of smirks to post on
Exi-chat.  I never keep those resolutions as you have seen.  {8-]  I might
hold to it for a while, find some other pursuit upon which to waste my
intellectual energy.  But I always come back when I think of a good gag or
enjoy a heehaw that I want to share.

I have been pondering the nature of chat group posting.  In the old silent
movies, gestures had to be exaggerated to be noticed at all.  Likewise in
this medium, subtlety is often lost, shades of meaning blurred, leading to
misunderstandings.  These Pirsig threads are an odd mixture of silliness and
semi-deep Zen discussion, so I see it as fertile ground for
misinterpretation.